Markus Neteler received his MSc degree in Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology from the University of Hanover in Germany in 1999. He worked at the Institute of Geography as Research Scientist and teaching associate for two years. From 2001 to 2007, he was a researcher at FBK-irst (formerly ITC-irst), from 2005-2007 also at Centro di Ecologia Alpina. Since 2008 he is employed at Fondazione Mach, Trento, Italy. His main research interests are remote sensing for environmental risk assessment and Free Software GIS development. He is author/co-author of two books on the Open Source Geographical Information System GRASS and various papers on applications in GIS. He is founding-member of GRASS Anwender-Vereinigung e.V. and the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo.org). In September 2006, he was honored with the Sol Katz Award for Geospatial Free and Open Source Software (GFOSS). In 2010, he obtained the the degree of a Doctor of Natural Science (Dr. rer.nat.) in Physical Geography. Markus Neteler is head of the GIS and Remote Sensing Unit at Fondazione Edmund Mach.
- Fellowship 2011 at Excellence cluster TOPOI, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany (1 month)
- Fellowship 2009 at Excellence cluster TOPOI, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany (1 week)
- Osaka City University Fellowship 2004, Japan (1 month)
Referee for Agrometeorologia, Applied Vegetation Science, Boreal Environment Research, Computers & Geosciences, Ecology and Society, International Journal of Geoinformatics, International Journal of Geographical Information Science, Remote Sensing, Transactions in GIS, Remote Sensing of Environment, and others. He is member of the scientific boards of various GIS related conferences.
For a more complete list, see the web site of my PGIS group at FEM.
- LExEM: Laboratory of Excellence for Epidemiology and Modeling. Facing the introduction and spread of Invasive Alien Species (IAS) into the territory of the Autonomous Province of Trento – LExEM (2013-2016)
- GIS analysis and development and Remote Sensing
- EDENext: Biology and control of vector-borne infections in Europe (EU/FP7, 2011-2014) – Work package
- Eurowestnile: Improving the knowledge of the biology, ecology and epidemiology of the West Nile virus in Europe (EU/FP7, 2011-2014) – Work package
- RasterVet project (2009-2012) – Work package
- GFOSS-TN3 project (2011-2012) – Full project
- RISKTIGER: 3 years project on tiger mosquito risk assessment in Trentino, Italy (2007-2010) – Work package
- ACE-SAP Biodiversity Project (2008-2011) – Work package
- EDEN (Emerging Diseases in a changing European Environment, an Integrated Project of the European Commission in FP6, 2004-2010) – Work package
- Remote sensing: Analysis of remote sensing data for landscape ecology and epidemiology.
- GIS in Environmental Modelling, Open source GIS development
- Contributing to GRASS GIS development (since 1998 as developer). This software is a fully featured raster, vector and point data geographical information system (GIS), released as Free Software.
- Open Source Geospatial Foundation (co-founder)
- Lot’s of other stuff at FEM